Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda (Ayurvedic Astrology) Course
Learn the fundamentals of Vedic astrology according to the background of ’Ayurvedic Astrology’, helping you approach the astrological chart in order to recognize imbalances of body and mind according to their planetary connections, and promote positive well-being, yoga and spirituality. Study with a master educator and teacher in both Vedic astrology and Ayurveda.
For those wanting to go immediately to the course ordering, note the information directly below. For those wanting to know more about the course, scroll on to the course information section. Yet even if you want to order the course now, please go through the complete course information section for details on the course and how it is handled, including the syllabus.
ORDERING THE COURSE (Previously called “Astrology of the Seers” Course)
The full course is sent out upon receipt of payment (credit card, check or money order). Note our automatic credit card secure ordering through the internet.
LENGTH – Four special printed course booklets totaling over six hundred 8 1/2 by 11 pages, or over 200,000 words of material.
COST - $495.00, without reference material or shipping costs. Note that we have kept these introductory courses at modest prices to allow a broad range of students to access.
COURSE REFERENCE MATERIAL
3 Books and 1 CD (four items total): 20.00 each (for convenience of e-commerce)
Astrology of the Seers: A Guide to Vedic (Hindu) Astrology, by David Frawley
Ayurvedic Astrology: Self Healing through the Stars, by David Frawley
The Nakshatras, by Dennis Harness
The Language of Jyotisha, by Nicolai Bachman
You can order the books directly from Lotus Press (1-800-824-6396) or other sources, for sometimes lower prices.
SHIPPING AND HANDLING for all course materials (regardless of number of reference items chosen)
USA – $30.00
Canada and Mexico – $60.00
Other countries – $100.00
Automatic ordering prices will include shipping costs depending upon the payment options that you choose. Note ordering options to the right of this page.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE AYURVEDIC ASTROLOGY COURSE
Vedic astrology, also called Jyotish, is the traditional astrology of India and part of the greater system of yogic knowledge. While similar to Western astrology in using planets, signs, houses and aspects, it calculates these differently and adds many unique factors of its own. Vedic astrology is a comprehensive system of astrological interpretation, containing accurate methods for examining all aspects of life from health to enlightenment. It has tremendous power both for prediction of events and for guidance on how to live in harmony with the universe, helping us to understand and transcend the influence of karma.
There are no specific prerequistes for taking the course, except that the student should realize that the course can be challenging and contains extensive material.
NATURE AND GOAL OF COURSE
For those who have difficulty approaching Vedic astrology, the course provides keys for unlocking its language and its methodology, both in terms of chart interpretation and the application of remedial measures.
The goal of the course is to provide a good foundation in Vedic astrology. Its orientation is threefold:
- To teach the fundamentals of Vedic astrology and chart interpretation through the planets, signs, houses, aspects, yogas, divisional charts and dashas.
- To set forth the Vedic ‘Astrology of Healing’ (Ayurvedic Astrology) for those who want to specialize in this subject, including gem therapy, as well as the use of mantras.
- To introduce the Nakshatras, Muhurta, Ashtakavarga and Vedic methods of timing, including the Vedic calendar (Panchanga).
No previous background in Vedic Astrology is required. The course starts at a beginning level, but goes into depth into its subject.
The course uses the books, Astrology of the Seers and Ayurvedic Astrology, by David Frawley, the Nakshatras by Dennis Harness, and the Vedic Astrological Terminology CD of Nicholai Bachman. This professionally produced CD contains the correct pronunciation of all main Vedic astrology terms and the planetary mantras in the original Sanskrit. It comes along with a special booklet defining the terms and mantras used.
The course is authored by Pandit Vamadeva Shastri (Acharya David Frawley) and represents his approach to Jyotish, attempting to make it relevant in the modern world without losing its traditional depth and spirituality. Vamadeva is Jyotish Kovid (proficiency in Jyotish, 1993) and Jyotish Vachaspati (Professor of Jyotish, 1996) through the Indian Council of Astrological Sciences (ICAS), the largest India based Vedic astrology organization, founded by Dr. B.V. Raman. He is one of the few who is a world recognized teacher in both fields of Vedic astrology and Ayurveda;
Dr. Raman was also Vamadeva’s main Vedic astrology teacher and hosted him for a number of talks and programs in India. Vamadeva was the first president of the American Council of Vedic Astrology (ACVA) from 1993-2003. He is a patron founder of the British Association of Vedic Astrology (BAVA, 1998) along with Dr. Raman. He has been a board member of the American College of Vedic Astrology (ACVA) and the Council of Vedic Astrology (CVA). In addition, he is a well known Ayurvedic teacher and author, connected to many important Ayurvedic organizations worldwide including the National Ayurvedic Medical Association (NAMA), the Ayurvedic Practitioner’s Association of North America (AAPNA), the Chopra Center University, and Kerala Ayurveda.
PART I. FOUNDATIONS OF VEDIC ASTROLOGY
- Background of Vedic Astrology and how to approach it
- Study Guide to Astrology of the Seers
- Planetary Types and their characteristics
- Advanced Study of Houses and House Lords
- Shadbala: the Six means of Judging Planetary Strength and Weakness
- Horoscope Judgment, basic principles
- Business Astrology, basic considerations
- Relationship Astrology
- 1; Comparative Method via Ascendant and Planets
- 2; Computative Method or Kuta System
- Glossaries, Sanskrit and English
PART II. THE ASTROLOGY OF HEALING OR AYURVEDIC ASTROLOGY
- Astrology and Ayurveda, interconnections
- Planets and Disease Correlations
- Individual Ayurvedic Constitution and Disease Tendency
- Astrology, Diet and Herbs
- Subtle Healing Remedies: Colors, Flowers and Aromas
- Gem Therapy
- 1; Basic Principles and application
- 2; Advanced Principles
- 1; Balancing the Planets through Cosmic Sounds
- 2; Sounds of Planets, Signs and Nakshatras
- Sanskrit pronunciation guide
- Planetary Deities and Yantras
- Spiritual Astrology, How to Examine the Subtle Body
- Chart Rectification
PART III. ADVANCED MATERIAL: NAKSHATRAS AND MUHURTA
- Nakshatras (Lunar Asterisms)
- 1; Description of Nakshatras
- 2; Systems of Nakshatra Classification
- Karmic Astrology and the Lunar Nodes
- Horary Astrology, the Timing of Events
- Astrological Forecasting (Muhurta)
- 1; The Role of Nakshatras
- 2; Tithis and Related Factors
- 1; the Basic System
- 2; the Timing of Events
- How to Give a Vedic Astrology Reading
- 1; Background Information
- 2; Procedure
PART IV. WORKBOOK AND CHART ANALYSIS
- How to Read North and South Indian Charts
- Synopsis of Chart Judgment
- The Twelve Ascendants
- Raja Yoga and Implications
- Medical or Ayurvedic Astrology, Advanced Material
- Maraka Planets and Referred Houses
- Chart Rectification
- The Jaimini System
- The Question of Ayanamsha
- The Antiquity of Vedic AstrologyCourse Format
- The course comes in four booklets. Each booklet is 8 ½ X 11 and spiral bound for easy usage.
- There is a three year time limit on completing the course or a reinstatement fee may be required.
TESTING AND TEACHER-STUDENT INTERACTION
- The course includes study questions and study exercises at the end of the nearly forty lessons. The course workbook contains special charts for practical analysis.
- There are three detailed final tests consisting of up to one hundred questions, to be returned to the institute for grading. Students can send in answers by mail or by email.
- Students can email or write the institute if they have additional questions based upon the course material.
CERTIFICATION AND ADDITIONAL STUDIES
- Certification for the course is given to students who answer all test questions satisfactorily, as well as options for further study.
- The course takes about 200 hours of study to complete and provides 200 hours of credit in Vedic Astrology. It grants a certificate in our Foundation Course in Ayurvedic Astrology, as an “Ayurvedic Astrologer Level I.” This credit is unique with us as an institution recognized for Ayurvedic studies.
- It grants 200 hours of credit through the Council of Vedic Astrology (CVA) towards its longer 600 hour Jyotish Visharada training, which is its first level of Vedic astrological training.
- Note that the Vedic astrology and Ayurveda communities worldwide recognizes our programs and Vamadeva as an important teacher, so that the course has its own value as well.
- Note our Additional Training Programs Section for other study options, including a more extensive on-line program through the American College of Vedic Astrology, for which Vamadeva is also an approved tutor.
- The course is usually sent by regular mail, but the course questions should be returned by email.
- We can email you the test questions for the course to save you the time of copying them down. Let us know if you want to receive the test questions by email.