American Institute of Vedic Studies – www.vedanet.com
Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda (Astrology of the Seers) on-line course
Copyright ©1985-2014 David Frawley
All rights reserved: do not use without written permission of author
VEDIC ASTROLOGY AND AYURVEDA
Welcome to the Astrology of the Seers Course in Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda!
We offer our best wishes and blessings in your studies and our connection with our teachers and traditions!
- Ours is the oldest and most widely used course on Vedic astrology, first introduced in 1985, when the subject was hardly known in the West. Many students and practitioners have learned from our course from all over the world.
- Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri), the course author, remains today probably the most widely respected western Vedic astrologer in the world, with his recognition extending throughout India by traditional astrologers there, including the highest awards by ICAS (Indian Council of Astrological Sciences) and the government of India (Padma Bhushan, the third highest civilian award for his educational work).
- Our on-line course allows the student access to the course anywhere in the world and eliminates any dependency on printed course material. However, you can print the course pages as needed. For this you will need to print through your browser or cut and paste the relevant material that you wish to copy. You cannot save the course as a pdf file, download it directly or send it out as an attachment to others. This is necessary for us to protect the course material for us and its copyrights.
- In addition the on-line version will allow you access to the updated course material that will be continually incorporated in the course, including new illustrations, audio and video components.
If you ever need help with anything relative to the course, please email Shankar Prasad, firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com. Do not try to contact us by phone, though the course itself, through the website or via our social media.
STUDY OF VEDIC ASTROLOGY
The field of knowledge and inner growth in Vedic astrology is unlimited, as is the degree of help and service that you can render though it. To achieve this, you should be motivated by the pursuit of truth. You are embarking on a great journey of self-discovery and are opening yourself to the whole field of Vedic, cosmic and self-knowledge. This is bound to be beneficial for you, though you should be motivated by your study, not by a seeking of results, which must come of their own accord if you are devoted in what you do.
Time, patience and steady application are the main elements that will enable your studies to become successful. You must arouse your own real interest and develop your own direct perception, adapting what you learn creatively according to your own life and temperament. Use astrology to open the gates of knowledge and joy for people, not to aggrandize yourself or to give yourself special power, or merely to entertain. Remember that according to Vedic knowledge, our only duty in life is to give. All is abundance and we should let that Divine fullness flow through us. Yet we should not give away what is precious carelessly or thoughtlessly. We must make sure to create the right vehicle and to establish the right receptivity to ensure that this knowledge continues to grow.
PURPOSE OF THE COURSE
The purpose of this course is twofold:
- First, to provide knowledge and expertise in the basic system and fundamentals of Vedic Astrology;
- Second, to introduce the student to the more specific field of Vedic medical astrology or Ayurvedic Astrology.
This makes our course unique in that it teaches you the basic of Vedic astrology with specific reference to its Ayurvedic application. Dr. Frawley is one of the few teachers who has the highest level of recognition in both Ayurveda and in Vedic astrology.
BACKGROUND OF THE COURSE
The VEDIC ASTROLOGY AND AYURVEDA COURSE is based upon the classic book Astrology of the Seers in teaching Vedic Astrology as adapted to the global culture emerging today. The book was one of the first published in the west on Vedic astrology in 1990.
The course is based upon a thorough study of the book and uses various readings from it. Yet the course goes far beyond the book and adds much new material. It also uses the more recent book Ayurvedic Astrology as the main text for Part II, as part of its Ayurvedic focus.
REQUIREMENTS OF THE STUDENT
The course does not presume any previous background in astrology on the part of the student, though such knowledge is certainly helpful. Nor does it presume any astronomical knowledge on their part. The course has little mathematics or astronomy to it. Its mathematics are on a simple level.
Students who know western astrology can transpose a western chart into a Vedic one by subtracting the Ayanamsha, but little more is necessary as to mathematical skill. However, the course does require that we have access to a computer programs for the more complicated calculations of Vedic Astrology, which are now easily available on the internet. Even if we can do many of the calculations ourselves, a computer program is essential because some of the more complex calculations of Vedic Astrology can take days to do manually, even by one skilled in astronomy and mathematics.
Students with no background in astrology have the advantage of not having to modify or unlearn any of their ideas from Tropical (Western) Astrology. Those with a background in Tropical Astrology have the advantage of being familiar with astrological knowledge. For Part II some knowledge of Ayurveda can be helpful but it is not indispensable and can be gained through supplementary reading if necessary.
The course does require that we think, study, learn and try to apply our knowledge. Knowledge of anything, particularly such a complex subject as astrology, will not come without effort and dedication. The course is meant to be challenging. It is not merely superficial. You are not expected to finish it quickly or easily. Be diligent in your studies in order to develop a strong foundation in Vedic Astrology.
ORIENTATION OF THE COURSE
The purpose of the course is to bring out the universal knowledge inherent in the Vedic system, which is useful to everyone regardless of race, culture or religious background. “Veda” itself means wisdom or knowledge of truth that is based upon direct perception. It refers to universal knowledge, not the dogma or opinions of a particular culture. The universality of the Vedas is what is aimed at in this course – the knowledge of truth that dwells in the hearts of all. It is the knowledge of our true Self and Soul. It belongs to all of us intrinsically and is free for each of us to use regardless of our birth or background. For these reasons, we are hoping to establish a new Vedic association or Vedic Samaj to share this greater Vedic vision with all.
Our attempt is to modernize and universalize the Vedic system for the global culture we see emerging today. This global culture must be free of social and religious boundaries; for it a world astrology is necessary. The Vedic system, as the oldest and most continually practiced astrological system in the world, can serve as a basis for that. Certainly it is an important part of any global astrology that cannot be ignored.
This course on Vedic Astrology is part of a work on various aspects of Vedic Science that the author has been engaged in for over twenty years. It includes Ayurveda, the traditional medical healing system of India, Yoga and other Vedic disciplines. Ayurveda is important in the course sections on the Astrology of Healing, which forms the basis of the second part of this course, as Ayurveda and Vedic Astrology have always been closely linked for healing purposes.
This course is based on a broader Vedic view than most presentations of Vedic Astrology. This older Vedic knowledge is specifically applied to the lunar constellations or Nakshatras, which derive directly from the Vedas. The course is also integrated into the whole system of Vedic knowledge and does not present astrology in an isolated manner.
It is in this light that we use the term “Vedic Astrology.” It has a traditional basis but cannot be fixed to a particular approach. Traditionally, Vedic Astrology has many branches and subsystems, is much more complex and allows for a greater diversity of approach than Western Astrology. Vedic knowledge itself is based upon the freedom and creative intelligence of the individual being. Hence, every true practitioner of it will have his or her own particular version of it.
The Vedic is a tradition of creative adaptation of eternal wisdom. Those who put limits on it, reduce it to one type only, or who claim exclusive authority over it, deny its very basis. The reader is asked to examine this knowledge critically, to see if it works and to apply it creatively in his or her own self‑unfoldment. This is the real test of its validity.
BOOKS AND CDS FOR COURSE
- Astrology of the Seers: A Comprehensive Guide to Vedic/Hindu Astrology is the main book required for the course,
- With Ayurvedic Astrology: Self Healing through the Stars for Part II.
- We also recommend the Nakshatras by Dennis Harness as supplementary reading for Part III.
- Jyotir Bhava, Vedic astrology Mantra CD of Yogini Shambhavi Chopra (Lotus Press). This is recommended for all students wanting to know the correct pronunciation of the main mantras to the planets.
- The Language of Jyotish Vedic Astrological Terminology CD of Nicolai Bachman (Sanskrit Sounds) is recommended for correct pronunciation of Sanskrit terms, but it is not required and some students may get this knowledge elsewhere.
We generally recommend that the student complete this course material before embarking on an extensive study of traditional Hindu astrological literature, but this is left up to the discretion of the student. Traditional Hindu astrological literature can be cumbersome and without the proper background it is difficult to approach. However, once the student has grasped the basics of the system, a study of such classics as the Brihat Parashara Hora Shastra, Brihat Samhita and Brihat Jataka (of Varaha Mihira) can be very helpful.
For books out of India, the books of B.V. Raman are quite good, including How To Judge A Horoscope, Three Hundred Important Combinations, Notable Horoscopes, Muhurta, Ashtakavarga System Of Prediction and Varshphal. The Astrological Magazine, now edited by Ramans daughter, Gayatri Vasudev, is another excellent resource for serious students.
There are a number of newer Indian books on Vedic Astrology that are easy to read and good for advanced students. Of special note in this regard are books by K. S. Charak such as Varshphal, Yogas, Elements of Vedic Astrology, Essentials of Medical Astrology, and Subtleties of Medical Astrology. Charaks books are recommended to all students of this course.
Many good software programs in Vedic Astrology exist notably Parasharas Light. We recommend that the student purchase a good software programs in order to run and study charts on their own. The calculations required for Vedic charts is extremely difficult and time-consuming otherwise. There are also now some very inexpensive but more limited programs like Jyotish-D for iPhone and IPad.
FORMAT OF THE COURSE
The course consists of 4 parts:
- Part I deals with the main interpretative factors of Vedic Astrology, the foundational material.
- Part II deals with Ayurveda, factors of Medical Astrology and remedial measures in Vedic Astrology.
- Part III gives specialized, advanced and supplementary material on topics such as Nakshatras, Horary Astrology and Ashtakavarga.
- The Workbook stands as a fourth section and is used along with the other booklets.
The Workbook is intended for usage in the following way:
- Lessons 1-4 of the Workbook should be examined along with Part I of the course. There will be indications in Part I and at its end about this.
- Lessons 5-7 of the Workbook should be examined along with Part II of the course. There will be indications in Part II and at its end about this.
- You can examine the appendices in the Workbook at any time as these are for general reference.
The Workbook is meant to provide technical and practical material, including example charts. It contains study exercises but no questions. However, a few of the questions in the tests at the end of Part I and Part II are based upon the Workbook and cannot be answered without completing it. The Workbook is particularly important for those seeking advanced training in Vedic Astrology. Others may find the Workbook to be challenging. They should be patient and realize that such application is necessary in order to learn to read charts.
Course illustrations derive mainly from the Hinduism Today magazine and monastery and are under copyright. Please honor this.
COURSE AUDIOS AND VIDEOS
New internet formats allow us to add audios and videos to the course and we are slowly doing this.
- Each lesson of the course has certain Study Questions. The student should answer these to ensure their understanding of each lesson. Please DO NOT send these Study Questions to the Institute for grading. However, it is advisable to write down your answers for your own learning and reference.
- Lessons also have certain Study Exercises. These may include doing certain charts or undertaking certain studies of your own. To utilize the course properly, these exercises should be completed. Without such practical application of the course material, it may be difficult to really benefit from it. Yet we will not monitor you about these study exercises. They are for your benefit only.
Final Test Questions
- In addition, at the end of each of the three main sections are certain Final Test Questions. The student should complete these test questions and send them to the Institute for grading. Only if these questions are answered properly will the student receive certification for the course.
- You can copy the tests from the on-line course material and add your answers and then send to us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
- Please answer all test questions as thoroughly as possible. Do not simply give a cursory or casual answer but think about the question as deeply as you can. While most questions are answered in the course material, a few do require extra thinking on your part. As it is an open book test we expect the student to answer all questions correctly.
- We will go over your test and return it to you with our comments and corrections as needed.
- You can also ask whatever additional questions about the course material you have along with the tests.
- It usually takes us up to a week to answer final tests. If you have not heard from us after two weeks, please resend your tests, as sometimes tests do get lost in the spam mail.
HOW TO STUDY
If you want to complete the course, you should make a schedule of study, like one or two nights a week, two or three hours at a time, at the same time of the day. Allow approximately two hundred hours for the entire course, including the study questions and exercises and test questions. Remember that patience, receptivity and steady application are the keys to learning.
Keep a record of your studies and the insights that it affords you. Try to write down what you learn to increase its imprint upon you. Begin to think in astrological terms and examine the world around you according to the qualities of the planets. Try to look at the charts of all kinds of people. In this way, your own thought processes will teach you and study will not have to be a chore or a special project. Try to find someone to discuss Vedic Astrology with if you can. The more you expand your field of learning, the more your studies will fructify.
There is no prescribed time period for the course (though you should aim to finish within two or three years). It depends upon your own pace as a student. Some students complete the course in a few months, others over the course of a year or two. Six months is a good average for most people. You must provide your own motivation and keep to a consistent schedule.
While most of the course is self-explanatory, if you need to contact us for any reason, the best way is by email. Our phone hours are limited and regular mail is much slower.
SPECIAL AUDIO INTRODUCTION TO THE COURSE BY DR. DAVID FRAWLEY (VAMADEVA SHASTRI)
Please listen to carefully.
VEDIC ASTROLOGY READINGS FOR COURSE STUDENTS
For students wishing to have Vedic astrological readings with us, you can arrange a reading with Yogini Shambhavi Devi (firstname.lastname@example.org), who is our resident Jyotishacharya. Yogini Shambhaviis one of the most respected women Vedic astrologers and Yoga teachers in India and the West.
Such readings can be very helpful in understanding Vedic astrology, as well as how to give readings, but are not included in the course and have their own separate charges.
OUR WEBSITE AND SOCIAL MEDIA
- Our web site at WWW.VEDANET.COM contains many articles, publications and resources.
It includes a listing of books on Ayurveda and other Vedic topics by Dr. Frawley, and a set of over one hundred articles by Dr. Frawley on various aspects of Vedic knowledge, including sections on Ayurveda, Yoga and Vedic astrology. It contains extensive information on Yogini Shambhavi Devi, including her teachings and astrological consultations. Our various programs, intensives and travels are explained in detail. We advise the student to look at these website resources periodically for additional information in the field.
- OUR FACEBOOK ACCOUNT FOR AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF VEDIC STUDIES – for articles and programs relative to the institute, updated every few days – https://www.facebook.com/americanvedic/
- Dr. Frawley’s FACEBOOK ACCOUNT at https://www.facebook.com/drdavidfrawley – Regular information about Dr. Frawley and his many articles, programs and activities in the greater Vedic field, including his work in India, with thirty thousand followers. Not specific to Vedic astrology.
- Yogini Shambhavi’s FACEBOOK ACCOUNT at https://www.facebook.com/yogini.shambhavi/ – Yogini Shambhavi’s special teachings, information and resources on Shakti Sadhana, Women’s Healing and our Yoga and Ayurveda retreats, with nearly twenty thousand followers.
- Dr. Frawley’s TWITTER ACCOUNT at https://twitter.com/davidfrawleyved – Features Dr. Frawley’s educational and social work in India, with over fifty thousand followers, which includes the Prime Minister of India and other noted leaders, writers and spiritual teachers. Not specific to Vedic Astrology.
The course is revised and updated periodically. It was originally written in 1985. Our on-line access allows for continual updating of the course material that will be on-going.
COURSE REFUNDS AND TERM FOR COMPLETION
For such on-line courses, refund must be requested within thirty days. There will be a $100.00 processing fee taken out of the payment for our time involved. You have up to three years to finish the course, after which you may need to pay a reinstatement fee to continue further,
Certification for the course is given through THE AMERICAN INSTITUTE OF VEDIC STUDIES. The course provides certification for 300 hours of study in Vedic Astrology (which is how long the course, its exercises and tests, and books should take to complete), and the title AYURVEDIC ASTROLOGER: FOUNDATION COURSE.
As our institute has its own global recognition, this certification has value in its own right, particularly for combining Ayurveda with Vedic Astrology. You can also call yourself a student of Dr. Frawley, who is one of the most respected Vedic teachers in the world today.
Certification in this distance learning course does not mean that you are a fully qualified Vedic Astrologer but that you have a good foundation of information in which to become one. The course is a first stage in training in Vedic Astrology, which usually takes two years in order to become competent in the subject, like any technical discipline or profession. Yet it provides you much useful information to use for the rest of your life.
ADVANCED STUDY: CVA TUTORIAL PROGRAM
The course is also aligned with advanced study programs through the Council of Vedic Astrology (CVA). It can count for 200 of the 600 hours required for first level of certification by that organization (less than the 300 hours we offer ourselves, as CVA does not include the medical astrology lessons such as we have in its training). The CVA offers a tutorial program to help you in this process.
Council of Vedic Astrology P.O. Box 84312 Seattle, WA 98124-5612 http://www.councilvedicastrology.com email: email@example.com
FURTHER TRAINING OPTIONS WITH US
You can contact us about further training options in Vedic astrology or the Vedic field overall. Dr. Frawley and Yogini Shambhavi conduct various programs and retreats worldwide that bring in and integrate Vedic astrology and the other Vedic sciences.
Our Integral Vedic Counseling course may particularly interest you for more information on that important ftopic, as astrology is mainly a counseling program. You may find our Ayurvedic Healing course helpful for more information on Ayurveda. You may benefit from astrological readings with Yogini Shambhavi Devi. Dr. Frawley takes upon a few special Vedic astrology students periodically as well.
May your study and practice of Vedic Astrology prove fruitful, transformative and enlightening!
Sri Veda Purushaya Namah!
Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri)
The link is to an hour long interview of Dr. Frawley that explores his approach to Vedic knowledge, including Vedic astrology. For those of you who are not familiar with the scope of his work, please view it. It will help you understand the spiritual and philosophical background for this course. You can also view it directly below.