Take a comprehensive, yet affordable distance learning program in Ayurvedic medicine, providing extensive material, presented with clarity and depth. It is an excellent and accessible place to start your journey into Ayurveda from wherever you may be, and yet will take you very far.
Ayurveda is spreading rapidly in popularity worldwide. The main model of Ayurvedic practice is that of an “Ayurvedic Wellness consultant” or “Ayurvedic Life-style consultant.” Over the past twenty five years, we have offered our course in the foundations of Ayurveda and Ayurvedic life-consultancy training to over five thousand people and in six different languages worldwide, including as the basis of longer Ayurvedic training programs in several countries. Our course offers you the knowledge to bring to the level of Ayurveda Life-style examination and consultancy and without any expensive travel, yet also connecting you to options for advanced study for those who want these.
This comprehensive course outlines Ayurvedic anatomy and physiology, constitution for body and mind, diagnosis, nutrition, herbs, aromas, yoga, Ayurvedic psychology, spiritual methods and much more. It follows the approach of David Frawley’s important book, Ayurvedic Healing, lauded by noted author Deepak Chopra as a ‘modern classic of Ayurveda’. The course has been used as textbook material by longer Ayurvedic training programs taught over the past twenty years.
For those wanting to go immediately to the course ordering, note the ordering information directly below and course ordering options to the right. For those wanting to know more about the course, scroll on down to the course information section further below, which explains the course in detail, including providing a complete course syllabus. Yet even if you want to order the course now, please go through the complete course information section below for important details on the format of the course and how it is handled, as well as its syllabus so that you know all the topics that will be covered.
ORDERING THE COURSE
NEW ON-LINE COURSE ACCESS:
*** Note new ordering option for the course through on-line access for 495.00. It will not include any printed material or reference books. You will receive a special code to access the course on-line shortly after signing up.
For International Orders this will now be the main way of course ordering.
On-line allows you easy course access that you can have from your own computer wherever you are. It also allows you immediate access to any course changes or updates.
We will also add an option of adding on-line access to the printed course versions for those in USA and CANADA only.
5 REFERENCE BOOKS RECOMMENDED, by David Frawley
- Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide
- Yoga of Herbs (with Vasant Lad)
- Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-realization
- Ayurveda and the Mind: The Healing of Consciousness
- Ayurveda, Nature’s Medicine (with Subhash Ranade)
You can purchase these books from Lotus Press ( 800-824-6396) or other sources like Amazon, including in kindle editions. You can order the books from us only if you purchase the printed course version. We also recommend Nicolai Bachman’s CD, the Language of Ayurveda, which will help you with Sanskrit terms.
PRINTED COURSE VERSION:
For ordering of the course in its printed version, the full course is sent out upon receipt of payment .
LENGTH- Four special printed course booklets totaling over six hundred and fifty 8 1/2 by 11 pages, or over 200,000 words of material.
COST – $495.00, without reference books or shipping and handling costs, which are extra (30.00 for USA or 60.00 for Canada).
You can take the course now with personal interaction with an instructor specially trained to handle this course (Margo Bachman of the Heart of Wellness). This option allows you to send in all the study questions and study exercises for each of the more than forty-five lessons for grading and comments, as well as whatever additional questions you may have, greatly expanding your personal contact. It offers you help with a tutor that can make your course study easier and more enriching. This option is available at an additional charge of $400.00 and provides 100 hours more of study credit. Email us at email@example.com if you need more information about it.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE AYURVEDIC HEALING COURSE
Ayurveda is the traditional natural healing system of India going back over five thousand years. It is the healing aspect of the Yoga tradition and contains the secrets of both inner and outer well-being. Ayurveda is now recognized as one of the most important systems of mind-body medicine and its popularity is spreading throughout the world. Ayurveda considers all aspects of healing from diet and herbs to mantra and meditation as a complete holistic system of medicine. It is truly the medicine of the coming planetary age, with almost no limits to its growth and application in the modern health situation, where Ayurvedic like methods of disease prevention and proper life-style are becoming important considerations for everyone.
NATURE OF COURSE
This comprehensive program outlines the main aspects of Ayurvedic theory, diagnosis and practice. The Ayurvedic Healing course provides extensive information on Ayurveda in its main branches. The course has a special emphasis on herbal medicine, noting western as well as Indian herbs. It explains diet and food in detail. The course adds to these physical modalities a higher dimension of Yoga and Ayurveda, showing an integral mind-body approach that includes spiritual and psychological considerations, with Ayurvedic keys to colors, aromas, asana, pranayama, mantra and meditation.
The course can be taken by those who have no existing background in Ayurveda as well as those who do. The course is a self-study course and allows the student to go at his or her own pace. There are no specific prerequisites for taking the course, except that the student should realize that the course contains much material to go over.
GOAL OF COURSE
The goal of the course is to provide students a foundation for a deeper study of Ayurveda, providing the key information taught in longer Ayurvedic programs. The course is an inexpensive alternative for those who are not ready for classroom or clinical instruction, but want to further their studies in Ayurveda in an accessible manner. It emphasizes Ayurvedic life-style considerations that are the basis for deeper Ayurvedic study. The course is an excellent introduction to Ayurveda and will open many doors for the student to pursue their studies. It is also helpful for those who are interested in Ayurveda, but may not want to become Ayurvedic clinical practitioners themselves, such as Yoga teachers, herbalists or nutritionists, who are looking to add more Ayurveda to what they do.
The course is authored by Pandit Vamadeva Shastri (Acharya David Frawley), uses his books on Ayurveda, and represents his approach, adapting Ayurveda to the modern world without losing its traditional foundation. Vamadeva’s books on Ayurveda and Vedic knowledge are among the most extensive available today. Vamadeva teaches Ayurveda along with modern dietary considerations and the use of both Western and traditional Ayurvedic herbs. He integrates Ayurveda with the practice of Yoga and meditation and the spiritual approach of the Vedas. He is regarded as one of the senior “Ayurvedacharyas” or master teachers of Ayurveda in the world today.
Vamadeva has worked and taught with leading Ayurvedic doctors and experts including Deepak Chopra, Vasant Lad, Sunil Joshi, Suhas Kshirsagar, Subhash Ranade, Avinash Lele, David Simon, John Douillard, and Jose Rugue. He has been specially honored for his contribution to Ayurveda by the National Ayurvedic Medical Association of the United States (NAMA) and the Association of Ayurveda Practitioners of North America (AAPNA) and is a Master Educator for the Chopra Center University. His work is highly regarded in India and his books are widely translated in European languages. He is an advisor for Kerala Ayurveda, the California College of Ayurveda, NAMA and AAPNA. He also works with Sivananda for Yoga and Ayurveda trainings.
PART 1. PRINCIPLES OF AYURVEDA 1
- Introduction to the Course and how to use it
- Historical and Spiritual Background, Vedic and Yogic Science
- Ayurvedic Cosmology, the Twenty Four Tattvas, Samkhya, the Five Elements
- The Three Gunas, Karma, Goals of Life, Basic Principles of Ayurvedic Thought
- Ayurvedic Anatomy and Physiology in Detail:
- The Biological Humors of Vata, Pitta and Kapha – elements, qualities actions, sites, and aggravation
- The Twenty Attributes – humors, elements, gunas and usage
- Five subtypes of Vata, Pitta and Kapha (subdoshas)
- Prana, Tejas and Ojas, the Three Vital Essences
- Seven Tissues (Dhatus), actions, interrelationship, excess and deficiency states, sara condition
- The Seven Kalas
- The Three Waste Materials and their conditions
- Agni (digestive fire) and its four states
- The Fourteen Channel Systems (srotamsi) of the Body, their functions and conditions
- Ayurvedic View of the Organs and their relationship to the Doshas
- Summary of Medical Systems East and West
- Enumeration of Ayurvedic Principles
- Glossary of Terms and Bibliography
PART II. PRINCIPLES OF AYURVEDA 2
- Constitutional Analysis (Mind-body types) – examining all factors of bodily structure, metabolism, disease tendency and psychology
- Mental Nature according to Three Gunas and Three Doshas
- The Disease Process
- 1: Disease and the Movement of Time, Climate and Environmental factors
- 2: The Six Stages of Disease in Ayurveda, classification and prognosis of disease
- Examination of Disease
- 1: Aggravated states of the Doshas, Sama and Nirama conditions
- 2: Humors and Tissues in the Disease Process, the movement of the Doshas through the Dhatus
- Diagnosis and Patient Examination: Differential Diagnosis of Disease Syndromes
- Methods of pulse, tongue, abdomen, questioning and observation
- Yoga and Ayurvedic Psychology, Spiritual Principles of Ayurveda
- The Functions of the Mind and our Greater Consciousness
- The System of Raja Yoga, Ashtanga, the Eight Limbs of Yoga
- Examination of the Subtle Body, Chakras, and Nadis
- Yoga Asanas and Ayurveda
PART III. AYURVEDIC TREATMENT METHODS: DIET AND HERBS
- The Science of the Six Tastes, Rasa-Virya-Vipak-Prabhava
- Treatment through the Five Elements
- Dietary Therapy, principles, outline of Ayurvedic Diet, Food Lists per Constitution
- Food List and Food Type Analysis – Fruit and Vegetables
- Grains, Beans, Seeds and Nuts, Dairy Products, Animal Products
- Oils, Condiments and Spices
- Ayurvedic Herbalism
- Herbs for Digestion and Elimination
- Ayurvedic Herbs and Herbal Preparations – Study Guide to Yoga of Herbs
- Ayurvedic Therapeutic Measures: Palliation (Shamana) and Purification (Shodhana)
- Pancha Karma, Tonification and Rejuvenation (Rasayana)
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Disease – Study Guide to Ayurvedic Healing
PART IV. ADVANCED TREATMENT METHODS
- Subtle Healing Modalities of Ayurveda
- Aroma Therapy and list of aromatic oils
- Color Therapy
- Gem Therapy
- Mantras and their therapeutic application
- Yoga Psychology and Ayurvedic Counseling: healing the mind and emotional nature
- Patterns of Doshic Accumulation: through the skin, breath, digestion, sensation, emotion and thought
- Detailed Herbal Treatment through the Tissues and Channel Systems
- Detailed Herbal Treatment through the Subdoshas
- The Science of Prana and Pranic Healing, Treatment of Prana, Nasya, Pranayama
- Marma points and Ayurvedic Massage
- Integral Treatment of Prana, Tejas and Ojas
- Meditation and Ayurveda, prescribing meditation by Constitution
- Summary of Integral Healing System of Ayurveda
- The course comes in four booklets, which are mailed out to the student all at once, or directly accessible on-line for the on-line access version of the course. Total length of course material is over 650 pages.
- On-line course version provides the same information accessed on-line, lesson by lesson, in a slightly different and expanded format.
- There is a three year time limit for completing the course, or a reinstatement fee may be required.
TESTING AND TEACHER-STUDENT INTERACTION
- The course contains study questions and practical exercises at the end of each of the forty-five lessons in order to guide the student in the study of Ayurveda. These lesson tests are to be answered by the student and not sent in to us, unless the student takes the additional interactive version of the course.
- The course has four detailed final tests at the end of each of the four course booklets. These the student must return to the institute for grading. Students can send in answers by mail or by email.
- Note our ‘interactive option’ for those who want more assistance with the course. This allows students to send in all the forty-five sets of study questions and practical exercises for grading, as well as any other questions that may arise for them.
CERTIFICATION AND ADDITIONAL STUDIES
- The course takes about 300 hours of study to complete and provides a certification worth 300 hours of distance learning credit in Ayurvedic Studies with us and the title of ‘Ayurvedic Life-Style Consultant.’ It does not provide classroom or clinical hours, but does give you the foundation to prepare yourself for clinical study. Most Ayurvedic practitioners in the West work on the Life-Style Consultant basis.
- Upon course completion options for further study are possible, such as discussed in our Additional Study and Training in Vedic Sciences Options. Our students have gone on to the Kerala Ayurveda Academy, the California College of Ayurveda, to study in India through the International Academy of Ayurved, or through Dr. Sunil Joshi.
- Yoga, Ayurveda Mantra and Meditation Distance Learning Program. For those who want more information in Ayurvedic Yoga approaches and related subjects.
- Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda Course. For those who want more information in Ayurvedic (Vedic) Astrology.
- Course test answers should be done by email.
- We can also email you the test questions for the course in order to save you the time of copying them down. Let us know if you want to receive the test questions by email.