Ayurvedic Healing Course | Comprehensive, affordable, distance learning, online course on Ayurveda
Take a comprehensive, yet affordable distance learning program in Ayurvedic healing, providing extensive material, presented with clarity and depth. It is an excellent and accessible place to start your journey into Ayurveda from wherever you may be, and yet will take you very far.
The Ayurvedic Healing course covers constitution, doshic imbalances, dietary and herbal treatment, subtle therapies of Yoga and meditation. It is connected to the classic books of Dr. David Frawley like Ayurvedic Healing, Yoga of Herbs, Ayurveda and the Mind and Yoga and Ayurveda. Taken by over ten thousand people worldwide over the last thirty years, the course remains one of the main ways to learn Ayurveda both at a personal level and as a foundation for deeper study, whether in Ayurveda, Yoga or other Vedic fields.
Ayurveda is spreading rapidly in popularity and is now an important system of mind-body medicine and yogic healing worldwide. Over the past thirty years, we have offered our course to over ten thousand people and in six different languages, including as the basis for longer Ayurvedic training programs in several countries. Our course offers you the knowledge to bring you to the level of Ayurveda Life-style examination without any expensive travel, as well as putting you in touch with broader Vedic studies for body, mind, and consciousness.
This comprehensive course outlines Ayurvedic anatomy and physiology, Ayurvedic constitution for body and mind, diagnosis, nutrition, herbs, aromas, yoga, Ayurvedic psychology, spiritual methods, and much more. It follows the approach of Dr. David Frawley’s important book, Ayurvedic Healing, lauded by noted author Dr. Deepak Chopra as a “modern classic of Ayurveda.” Dr. Frawley is one of the most honored teachers of Ayurveda and Vedic studies worldwide. The course grants you certification with us as an “Ayurvedic Life-Style Consultant.”
The course provides a deeper level of online study for students who may not have the time, resources or accessibility to much more expensive clinical and classroom programs. It allows students anywhere in the world to deepen their study of Ayurveda.
ORDERING THE COURSE
You will receive complete online access to the course and its lessons, tests and study exercises that you can access from your computer at your convenience anywhere in the world.
The course consists of extensive original on-line lessons and is enhanced with illustrations, audios, and videos, along with recommended reading from Dr. Frawley’s published books.
All you need to do is order the course from the Take This Course option at the top right of this page, which also shows any discounts from the usual price of $495.00.
Once you have ordered the course, you can access it at the Start Your Course Here option at the top right of the home page, next to the My Account option.
5 REFERENCE BOOKS AND RECOMMENDED READING, by Dr. David Frawley, not included, order on your own according to instructions in links below, if you don’t already have them.
- Ayurvedic Healing: A Comprehensive Guide
- Yoga of Herbs (with Vasant Lad)
- Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-realization
- Ayurveda and the Mind: The Healing of Consciousness
- Ayurveda, Nature’s Medicine (with Subhash Ranade)
You can purchase these books from Lotus Press ( 800-824-6396), with which we have a special arrangement or other sources like Amazon.com, including in Kindle editions.
- The course comes in four on-line volumes or booklets and forty lessons, over eight hundred pages of course material with supplementary reading from Dr. Frawley’s published books.
- Includes illustrations, numerous audios, and several videos to enhance the course experience.
- There is a three-year time limit for completing the course or a reinstatement fee may be required.
- The course takes around 300 hours of study to complete and provides a certification worth 300 hours of distance learning credit in Ayurvedic Studies with us and the title of ‘Ayurvedic Life-Style Consultant.’
Our course offers you additional study and certification in the Vedic field, providing a well-rounded education in Vedic Knowledge Systems.
- Yoga, Ayurveda Mantra and Meditation Course. For those who want more guidance in Ayurvedic Yoga approaches and related subjects of mantra and meditation.
- Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda Course. For additional training in Ayurvedic (Vedic) Astrology, as well as in the foundations of Vedic astrology overall.
- Integral Vedic Counseling Course. For those who wish to emphasize counseling, psychological and spiritual approaches.
- Dr. Frawley takes on a few students every year for advanced studies with him, particularly in Ayurvedic psychology and Ayurveda and the mind.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE COURSE
Ayurveda is the traditional natural healing system of India going back over five thousand years. It is the healing aspect of the Yoga tradition and contains the secrets of both inner and outer well-being. Ayurveda considers all aspects of healing from diet and herbs to mantra and meditation as a complete holistic system of medicine. It is truly the medicine of the coming planetary age, with no limits to its growth and application in the modern health situation, where Ayurvedic like methods of disease prevention and proper lifestyle are important considerations for everyone.
This comprehensive program outlines the main aspects of Ayurvedic theory, constitution determination and practice. The Ayurvedic Healing course provides extensive information on Ayurveda in its main branches. The course has a special emphasis on herbal medicine, noting western as well as Indian herbs. It explains diet and food in detail. The course adds to these physical modalities a higher dimension of Yoga and Ayurveda, showing an integral mind-body approach that includes spiritual and psychological considerations, with Ayurvedic keys to colors, aromas, asana, pranayama, mantra, and meditation.
The course can be taken by those who have no existing background in Ayurveda as well as those who do. The course is a self-study course and allows the student to go at his or her own pace.
The goal of the course is to provide students a foundation for a deeper study of Ayurveda. It is an inexpensive alternative for those who are not ready for more expensive classroom or clinical instruction but want to further their studies in Ayurveda in an accessible manner. It emphasizes Ayurvedic lifestyle considerations that are the basis for deeper Ayurvedic study.
The course is an excellent introduction to Ayurveda and Vedic Studies. It is helpful for those who are interested in Ayurveda, such as Yoga teachers, herbalists or nutritionists, who are looking to add more Ayurveda to what they do. It is helpful for all serious students and teachers in the different fields of Vedic knowledge.
The course is authored by Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri), uses his books on Ayurveda, and represents his approach, adapting Ayurveda to the modern world without losing its traditional foundation. Vamadeva’s books on Vedic knowledge are among the most extensive available today. Vamadeva is regarded as one of the senior “Ayurvedacharyas” or master teachers of Ayurveda in the world today. He has a D.Litt in Yoga and Vedic Studies from S-VYASA and a special Padma Bhushan award from the president of India, which no other western Ayurvedic teacher has.
Vamadeva has worked with leading Ayurvedic doctors and experts including Deepak Chopra, Vasant Lad, Sunil Joshi, Subhash Ranade, Avinash Lele, David Simon, John Douillard, and Jose Rugue. His work is highly regarded in India and his books are widely translated into European languages. He also works with Sivananda for Yoga and Ayurveda trainings.
PART 1. PRINCIPLES OF AYURVEDA 1
- Introduction to the Course and how to use it
- Historical and Spiritual Background, Vedic and Yogic Science
- Ayurvedic Cosmology, the Twenty Four Tattvas, Samkhya, the Five Elements
- The Three Gunas, Karma, Goals of Life, Basic Principles of Ayurvedic Thought
- Ayurvedic Anatomy and Physiology in Detail:
- The Biological Humors of Vata, Pitta and Kapha – elements, qualities actions, sites, and aggravation
- The Twenty Attributes – humors, elements, gunas and usage
- Five subtypes of Vata, Pitta and Kapha (subdoshas)
- Prana, Tejas and Ojas, the Three Vital Essences
- Seven Tissues (Dhatus), actions, interrelationship, excess and deficiency states, sara condition
- The Seven Kalas
- The Three Waste Materials and their conditions
- Agni (digestive fire) and its four states
- The Fourteen Channel Systems (srotamsi) of the Body, their functions and conditions
- Ayurvedic View of the Organs and their relationship to the Doshas
- Summary of Medical Systems East and West
- Enumeration of Ayurvedic Principles
- Glossary of Terms and Bibliography
PART II. PRINCIPLES OF AYURVEDA 2
- Constitutional Analysis (Mind-body types) – examining all factors of bodily structure, metabolism, disease tendency and psychology
- Mental Nature according to Three Gunas and Three Doshas
- The Disease Process
- 1: Disease and the Movement of Time, Climate and Environmental factors
- 2: The Six Stages of Disease in Ayurveda, classification and prognosis of disease
- Examination of Disease
- 1: Aggravated states of the Doshas, Sama and Nirama conditions
- 2: Humors and Tissues in the Disease Process, the movement of the Doshas through the Dhatus
- Diagnosis and Patient Examination: Differential Diagnosis of Disease Syndromes
- Methods of pulse, tongue, abdomen, questioning and observation
- Yoga and Ayurvedic Psychology, Spiritual Principles of Ayurveda
- The Functions of the Mind and our Greater Consciousness
- The System of Raja Yoga, Ashtanga, the Eight Limbs of Yoga
- Examination of the Subtle Body, Chakras, and Nadis
- Yoga Asanas and Ayurveda
PART III. AYURVEDIC TREATMENT METHODS: DIET AND HERBS
- The Science of the Six Tastes, Rasa-Virya-Vipak-Prabhava
- Treatment through the Five Elements
- Dietary Therapy, principles, outline of Ayurvedic Diet, Food Lists per Constitution
- Food List and Food Type Analysis – Fruit and Vegetables
- Grains, Beans, Seeds and Nuts, Dairy Products, Animal Products
- Oils, Condiments, and Spices
- Ayurvedic Herbalism
- Herbs for Digestion and Elimination
- Ayurvedic Herbs and Herbal Preparations – Study Guide to Yoga of Herbs
- Ayurvedic Therapeutic Measures: Palliation (Shamana) and Purification (Shodhana)
- Pancha Karma, Tonification and Rejuvenation (Rasayana)
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Disease – Study Guide to Ayurvedic Healing
PART IV. ADVANCED TREATMENT METHODS
- Subtle Healing Modalities of Ayurveda
- Aroma Therapy and list of aromatic oils
- Color Therapy
- Gem Therapy
- Mantras and their therapeutic application
- Yoga Psychology and Ayurvedic Counseling: healing the mind and emotional nature
- Patterns of Doshic Accumulation: through the skin, breath, digestion, sensation, emotion, and thought
- Detailed Herbal Treatment through the Tissues and Channel Systems
- Detailed Herbal Treatment through the Subdoshas
- The Science of Prana and Pranic Healing, Treatment of Prana, Nasya, Pranayama
- Marma points and Ayurvedic Massage
- Integral Treatment of Prana, Tejas, and Ojas
- Meditation and Ayurveda, prescribing meditation by Constitution
- Summary of Integral Healing System of Ayurveda
- Advanced Material
- The course contains study questions and practical exercises at the end of the lessons to guide the student.
- The course has four detailed final tests at the end of each of the four course sections. These the student must return to the institute for grading. Students send in answers by email.