Requested resource is not accessible
Ayurvedic Healing Course
Take a comprehensive, yet affordable distance learning program in Ayurvedic healing, providing extensive material, presented with clarity and depth. It is an excellent and accessible place to start your journey into Ayurveda from wherever you may be, and yet will take you very far.
The Ayurvedic Healing course covers constitution, doshic imbalances, dietary and herbal treatment, subtle therapies of Yoga and meditation. It is connected to the classic books of Dr. David Frawley like Ayurvedic Healing, Yoga of Herbs, Ayurveda and the Mind and Yoga and Ayurveda. Taken by over ten thousand people worldwide over the last thirty years, the course remains one of the main ways to learn Ayurveda both at a personal level and as a foundation for deeper study, whether in Ayurveda, Yoga or other Vedic fields.
Ayurvedic Healing Course
Ayurveda is spreading rapidly in popularity and is now an important system of mind-body medicine and yogic healing worldwide. Over the past thirty years, we have offered our course in Ayurvedic life-consultancy training to over ten thousand people and in six different languages, including as the basis for longer Ayurvedic training programs in several countries. Our course offers you the knowledge to bring you to the level of Ayurveda Life-style examination without any expensive travel and is accessible on-line.
This comprehensive course outlines Ayurvedic anatomy and physiology, Ayurvedic constitution for body and mind, diagnosis, nutrition, herbs, aromas, yoga, Ayurvedic psychology, spiritual methods, and much more. It follows the approach of Dr. David Frawley’s important book, Ayurvedic Healing, lauded by noted author Dr. Deepak Chopra as a “modern classic of Ayurveda.” Dr. Frawley is one of the most honored teachers of Ayurveda and Vedic studies worldwide over the last thirty years. The course grants you certification with us as an “Ayurvedic Life-Style Consultant.”
ORDERING THE COURSE
ON-LINE COURSE ACCESS – $495.00.
You will receive complete on-line access to the course and its lessons, tests and study exercises that you can access from your computer at your convenience anywhere in the world. Your on-line course will automatically receive all updates and course improvements over time.
5 REFERENCE BOOKS AND RECOMMENDED READING, by Dr. David Frawley, not included, order on your own according to instructions in links below, if you don’t already have them.
- Ayurvedic Healing: AComprehensive Guide
- Yoga of Herbs (with Vasant Lad)
- Yoga and Ayurveda: Self-Healing and Self-realization
- Ayurveda and the Mind: The Healing of Consciousness
- Ayurveda, Nature’s Medicine (with Subhash Ranade)
You can purchase these books from Lotus Press ( 800-824-6396), with which we have a special arrangement or other sources like Amazon.com, including in kindle editions.
You can take the course with personal interaction with an instructor trained to handle the course. This option allows you to send in all the study questions for each of the more than forty lessons for grading and comments, as well as whatever additional questions you may have, greatly expanding your personal contact. It offers you help with a tutor that can make your course study easier and more enriching. This option is available at an additional charge of $400.00 and provides 100 hours more of direct study credit. Note that it is only available for a few students. Email us if you need more information about it.
MORE INFORMATION ON THE COURSE
Ayurveda is the traditional natural healing system of India going back over five thousand years. It is the healing aspect of the Yoga tradition and contains the secrets of both inner and outer well-being. Ayurveda considers all aspects of healing from diet and herbs to mantra and meditation as a complete holistic system of medicine. It is truly the medicine of the coming planetary age, with no limits to its growth and application in the modern health situation, where Ayurvedic like methods of disease prevention and proper life-style are important considerations for everyone.
Nature of Course
This comprehensive program outlines the main aspects of Ayurvedic theory, constitution determination and practice. The Ayurvedic Healing course provides extensive information on Ayurveda in its main branches. The course has a special emphasis on herbal medicine, noting western as well as Indian herbs. It explains diet and food in detail. The course adds to these physical modalities a higher dimension of Yoga and Ayurveda, showing an integral mind-body approach that includes spiritual and psychological considerations, with Ayurvedic keys to colors, aromas, asana, pranayama, mantra and meditation.
The course can be taken by those who have no existing background in Ayurveda as well as those who do. The course is a self-study course and allows the student to go at his or her own pace. There are no specific prerequisites for taking the course, except that the student should realize that the course contains extensive material to go over.
Goal of Course
The goal of the course is to provide students a foundation for a deeper study of Ayurveda, providing the key information taught in longer Ayurvedic programs. The course is an inexpensive alternative for those who are not ready for classroom or clinical instruction, but want to further their studies in Ayurveda in an accessible manner. It emphasizes Ayurvedic life-style considerations that are the basis for deeper Ayurvedic study.
The course is an excellent introduction to Ayurveda and will open many doors for the student to pursue their studies. It is also helpful for those who are interested in Ayurveda, such as Yoga teachers, herbalists or nutritionists, who are looking to add more Ayurveda to what they do. It is helpful for all serious students and teachers in the fields of Vedic knowledge.
The course is authored by Dr. David Frawley (Pandit Vamadeva Shastri), uses his books on Ayurveda, and represents his approach, adapting Ayurveda to the modern world without losing its traditional foundation. Vamadeva’s books on Vedic knowledge are among the most extensive available today. Vamadeva is regarded as one of the senior “Ayurvedacharyas” or master teachers of Ayurveda in the world today. He has a D.Litt in Yoga and Vedic Studies from S-VYASA and a special Padma Bhushan award from the government of India.
Vamadeva has worked with leading Ayurvedic doctors and experts including Deepak Chopra, Vasant Lad, Sunil Joshi, Subhash Ranade, Avinash Lele, David Simon, John Douillard, and Jose Rugue. He has been specially honored for his contribution to Ayurveda by the National Ayurvedic Medical Association of the United States (NAMA) and the Association of Ayurveda Practitioners of North America (AAPNA) and is a Master Educator for the Chopra Center. His work is highly regarded in India and his books are widely translated into European languages. He also works with Sivananda for Yoga and Ayurveda trainings.
PART 1. PRINCIPLES OF AYURVEDA 1
- Introduction to the Course and how to use it
- Historical and Spiritual Background, Vedic and Yogic Science
- Ayurvedic Cosmology, the Twenty Four Tattvas, Samkhya, the Five Elements
- The Three Gunas, Karma, Goals of Life, Basic Principles of Ayurvedic Thought
- Ayurvedic Anatomy and Physiology in Detail:
- The Biological Humors of Vata, Pitta and Kapha – elements, qualities actions, sites, and aggravation
- The Twenty Attributes – humors, elements, gunas and usage
- Five subtypes of Vata, Pitta and Kapha (subdoshas)
- Prana, Tejas and Ojas, the Three Vital Essences
- Seven Tissues (Dhatus), actions, interrelationship, excess and deficiency states, sara condition
- The Seven Kalas
- The Three Waste Materials and their conditions
- Agni (digestive fire) and its four states
- The Fourteen Channel Systems (srotamsi) of the Body, their functions and conditions
- Ayurvedic View of the Organs and their relationship to the Doshas
- Summary of Medical Systems East and West
- Enumeration of Ayurvedic Principles
- Glossary of Terms and Bibliography
PART II. PRINCIPLES OF AYURVEDA 2
- Constitutional Analysis (Mind-body types) – examining all factors of bodily structure, metabolism, disease tendency and psychology
- Mental Nature according to Three Gunas and Three Doshas
- The Disease Process
- 1: Disease and the Movement of Time, Climate and Environmental factors
- 2: The Six Stages of Disease in Ayurveda, classification and prognosis of disease
- Examination of Disease
- 1: Aggravated states of the Doshas, Sama and Nirama conditions
- 2: Humors and Tissues in the Disease Process, the movement of the Doshas through the Dhatus
- Diagnosis and Patient Examination: Differential Diagnosis of Disease Syndromes
- Methods of pulse, tongue, abdomen, questioning and observation
- Yoga and Ayurvedic Psychology, Spiritual Principles of Ayurveda
- The Functions of the Mind and our Greater Consciousness
- The System of Raja Yoga, Ashtanga, the Eight Limbs of Yoga
- Examination of the Subtle Body, Chakras, and Nadis
- Yoga Asanas and Ayurveda
PART III. AYURVEDIC TREATMENT METHODS: DIET AND HERBS
- The Science of the Six Tastes, Rasa-Virya-Vipak-Prabhava
- Treatment through the Five Elements
- Dietary Therapy, principles, outline of Ayurvedic Diet, Food Lists per Constitution
- Food List and Food Type Analysis – Fruit and Vegetables
- Grains, Beans, Seeds and Nuts, Dairy Products, Animal Products
- Oils, Condiments and Spices
- Ayurvedic Herbalism
- Herbs for Digestion and Elimination
- Ayurvedic Herbs and Herbal Preparations – Study Guide to Yoga of Herbs
- Ayurvedic Therapeutic Measures: Palliation (Shamana) and Purification (Shodhana)
- Pancha Karma, Tonification and Rejuvenation (Rasayana)
- Ayurvedic Treatment of Disease – Study Guide to Ayurvedic Healing
PART IV. ADVANCED TREATMENT METHODS
- Subtle Healing Modalities of Ayurveda
- Aroma Therapy and list of aromatic oils
- Color Therapy
- Gem Therapy
- Mantras and their therapeutic application
- Yoga Psychology and Ayurvedic Counseling: healing the mind and emotional nature
- Patterns of Doshic Accumulation: through the skin, breath, digestion, sensation, emotion and thought
- Detailed Herbal Treatment through the Tissues and Channel Systems
- Detailed Herbal Treatment through the Subdoshas
- The Science of Prana and Pranic Healing, Treatment of Prana, Nasya, Pranayama
- Marma points and Ayurvedic Massage
- Integral Treatment of Prana, Tejas and Ojas
- Meditation and Ayurveda, prescribing meditation by Constitution
- Summary of Integral Healing System of Ayurveda
- Advanced Material
- The course comes in four sections and nearly forty lessons, directly accessible on-line. Total length of on-line course material is over eight hundred pages, which is supplemented by our five reference books, providing the student two thousand pages of material on Ayurveda.
- The course is now being expanded with illustrations, audios and videos.
- There is a four year time limit for completing the course, or a reinstatement fee may be required.
TESTING AND TEACHER-STUDENT INTERACTION
- The course contains study questions and practical exercises at the end of the lessons to guide the student.
- The course has four detailed final tests at the end of each of the four course sections. These the student must return to the institute for grading. Students send in answers by email.
- Note our ‘interactive option’ for those who want more assistance with the course. This allows students to send in all the forty sets of study questions for grading, as well as any other questions that may arise for them.
CERTIFICATION AND ADDITIONAL STUDIES
- The course takes around 300 hours of study to complete and provides a certification worth 300 hours of distance learning credit in Ayurvedic Studies with us and the title of ‘Ayurvedic Life-Style Consultant.’ It does not provide classroom or clinical hours, but does give you the foundation to prepare yourself for deeper study.
- Yoga, Ayurveda Mantra and Meditation Distance Learning Program. For those who want more information in Ayurvedic Yoga approaches and related subjects.
- Vedic Astrology and Ayurveda Course. For those who want more information in Ayurvedic (Vedic) Astrology.
- Integral Vedic Counseling Course. For those who wish to emphasis a counseling, psychological and spiritual approach.
- If you have any other interests in further training in Vedic fields or branches of Ayurveda, we can help you with the areas that you wish to study.